- Development & Building
Building and Development
Please read the entire Building Permit Process (PDF) document before calling with any building questions, as the document should answer all general questions.
- For code or zoning requirements please reference the Garibaldi Municipal Code. Use the upper right search bar to find your topic.
- For further questions regarding planning, zoning, property owner information, code requirements, etc., please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Short Term Rentals
Zones C1 and D1 both allow tourist housing, as follows:
D. “Hotel” means any structure, or any portion of any structure, which is occupied or intended or designed for transient occupancy for 30 days or less for dwelling, lodging or sleeping purposes; and includes any hotel, motel, inn, condominium, tourist home or house, studio hotel, bachelor hotel, lodging house, rooming house, apartment house, public or private dormitory, fraternity, sorority, public or private club; and also means space in mobile home or trailer parks, or similar structures or spaces or portions thereof so occupied; provided, such occupancy is for less than a 30-day period.
Accessory dwelling units shall comply with the following standards, which are intended to control the size and number of accessory dwellings on individual lots, ensure compatibility with existing uses and ensure that accessory dwellings are for the use of permanent or long-term residents, rather than short-term rental use.
1. The structure complies with applicable building codes.
2. The primary residence shall be owner-occupied. Alternatively, the owner may appoint a family member as a caretaker of the principal house and manager of the accessory dwelling.
3. A maximum of one accessory dwelling unit is allowed per lot.
4. The maximum floor area of the accessory dwelling shall not exceed 33 percent of the living area of the house or 600 square feet, whichever is less, and may not exceed 15 percent of the entire area of the site.
5. The accessory dwelling shall meet the setback, placement and design requirements of the R-1 zone and meet all the requirements of any associated overlay zones.
6. In addition to the parking required for the primary dwelling, a minimum of one space shall be provided for the accessory dwelling.
7. The accessory dwelling shall remain in the same ownership as the primary dwelling. The accessory dwelling shall not be sold as a separate real or personal property.
C. All accessory structures shall comply with the standards of the zone in which they are located and with applicable building codes.
D. In the commercial (C-1) and downtown (D-1) zones, accessory structures shall not be used for human habitation. [Ord. 319 § 21, 2013; Ord. 304 Art. V(6), 2008; Ord. 290 § 3(4.080), 2006.]
Regulating Land Use
Structural code within Garibaldi is regulated by Tillamook County Community Development. Questions regarding structural building must be addressed by Tillamook County's Building Official by calling 503-842-3408.
Useful Documents & Links
- Garibaldi Land Use Permit Application
- Land Use Process / Permit Information
- Hillside Overlay Zoning-Map
- Conditional Use Application
- System Development Charge Fact Sheet
- City Map
- Zoning Map
- Comprehensive Plan
- Garibaldi Stormwater Management Plan
- School Excise Tax Calculation Form
- School Excise Tax Information
- Garibaldi Flood Map
- Garibaldi Tsunami Evacuation Map